Tuesday, July 25, 2006

경이롭! Wonderful!

The lovely woman who owns our neighborhood dry cleaners adores the Bambina. She calls her by her Chinese name and gives her big hugs (that are happily received) when we enter the store. We are but one of several families she sees who have adopted from China or Korea, but she says we are her favorite (likely story!) because we always ask her for a Korean Word of the Day to teach Bambina (and Mama, for that matter). This week's word is "hello": annyeonghaseyo, or annyeong for short.

Anyway, she is in her late 50's and her kids are my age and living in other areas of the country, so I was pleasantly surprised when she said that she had adopted a child. She must have thought I was a bit of a weirdo because I just lit up with congratulations for her, oh wow that is so exciting!I had no idea you were doing that!Mazeltovyaddayaddayadda!

I was about to effervescently ask about the child--girl or boy? Korean? When can we meet him/her? when she pulled out...

A big WorldVision folder.

Yep. WorldVision. She "adopted" a girl from Niger whom she helps support for $35 a month, bless her heart. I didn't have the heart to say, "Um, so you're SPONSORING a child!" I just oohed and aahed over the photo and said "That's Wonderful!" In Korean, no less.

No comments: