Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Woman Driver


I was returning home yesterday, parallel parking my car in front of my house as I always do, when a strange man started shouting and gesturing at me behind my car. I was so freaked out, like, what is this f'd up dude doing?! What does he want?! Go away! Can't I get in and out of my house without having to deal with weirdos?! NO, you cannot wash my car. NO, you cannot do any yard work for me. NO, you cannot come in and make a phone call. D*mmit!! What does he want?!

I parked and stopped the car, and he then just turned around and walked away down the street, which I found to be quite odd since they usually wait to engage you outside the vehicle. Then I realized: he was not a half-drunk weirdo dude, he was a regular guy "helping" me to park my car.

I'm sure I've posted about this before, but can I just say it again? Gentlemen, RESIST the urge, in the name of all that is holy, to offer unsolicited "help" to a woman parking her car. What goes through your mind when you see a woman parking that you must immediately run over and start yelling, "you've got plenty of room! Come on back! A little to the left!"? Don't you have places to be? Things to do? I park here every day and haven't hit a telephone pole yet. Or a child. Or a dog.

But come to think of it, next time I might not be able to miss a guy standing at my back bumper...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about other guys, but I know that if I have time and I see someone trying a tricky bit of parking I'll ask if I can help. It doesn't matter if its a man or a women driving, partly because I hate parallel parking myself.