Thursday, June 08, 2006

Jesus is Magic, But Sarah Silverman Isn't

Last night I slogged through the one-hour-and-twelve-minute bewildering boredom that is Sarah Silverman's new DVD: "Jesus Is Magic."

Oh dear god. There was about 35 minutes of good, solid standup material, with the rest being tediously long and unfunny songs and vignettes. The premise of the show is that her two friends are doing really well in show business and ask her what she's got going on. She lies and says she has a big show that's happening tonight, then has to leave and write a show before they arrive at the theater.

Pardon me for thinking that this actually did happen, because some of the stuff on this DVD really did seem to have been written in a booze-fueled desperate effort, the kind where things seem Sooooooo Fuuuuunnnny when you're drunk but are kind of confusing and meaningless and a bit excruciating to the sober folks watching? It's like that. A bit funny, a bit painful, a bit annoying, and a bit surprising that the DVD cover says "one hour 12 minutes" because I was certain that it had been about 3 hours since I had started watching.

So, go ahead and get it if you feel you must. But remember: I watch it so you don't have to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Sarah and I'm buying the DVD anyway. a funny review tho!