Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy Birthday, Missus!


A shout out to my Mum on this, her [stillgotitgoinon] birthday! Yes, she is indeed the greatest. A pioneer woman of the first order who gets it done no matter what. As I look back on parts of my childhood I realize all those times when she wasn't wearing new clothes because we kids needed some. When she was no doubt going through sadness of her own but was busy helping us with ours. And all those times I gave her so little credit for being an actual human person with goals and dreams and an inner life far beyond just being my mother. I've learned a lot from my Mum, the most important thing being that You Do What You Have To Do. No money? Make what you have work. Health challenges? Power through them with grace. Worries and fears? Find hope and spread it around, as if doing so is your only responsibility. Happy Birthday, Mummy!!

If I was damned of body and soul,
I know whose prayers would make me whole,
Mother o' mine, O mother o'mine.
~Rudyard Kipling

One of the very few reasons I had any respect for my mother when I was thirteen was because she would reach into the sink with her bare hands - bare hands - and pick up that lethal gunk and drop it into the garbage. To top that, I saw her reach into the wet garbage bag and fish around in there looking for a lost teaspoon. Bare hands - a kind of mad courage. ~Robert Fulghum

An ounce of mother is worth a pound of priest. ~Spanish Proverb

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it."
~ Mark Twain

No comments: