Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Reality of Katrina Finally Hits the Haggis


If, like me, you felt really bad for everyone affected by Katrina but still managed to go through your day without really, truly understanding what went on down there, then this photo will help to bring it home. My jaw dropped when I saw this photo and description from a friend of a friend of a friend from Mississippi:

"This is a picture taken from the third floor at St. Stanislaus high School in Bay St. Louis. If you are not familiar with the school property. It is located on the cliff in Bay St. Louis. The lawn where you notice the trees is approximately 25+ feet above sea level. This is one of the highest points on the Gulf of Mexico, now you can understand why several hundreds of square miles along the Gulf Coast are completely GONE."

2 comments:

Integrated Systems said...

When you read accounts of storm surges, people always talk about a "wall of water." I could never picture what a "wall of water" would look like, nor what it would do.

Now I can.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is old news, I know, but the photo is actually from New Orleans... water rushing over one of the levees. That doesn't diminish the "oh my gosh" factor, but it helps a little to know that that is water coming over a wall and not water rushing in from the ocean. There is more about this on Snopes.com.