Tuesday, January 31, 2006

POTUS's SOTU

I missed the live State of the Union address tonight. Bah. I had been wondering all day whether/how long the POTUS would take to mention The Date That Must Be Mentioned in All Presidential Speeches.

So as I was perusing the transcript on the WashPost website, there it was, a mere three paragraphs into the speech: "On September the 11th, 2001, we found that problems originating in a failed and oppressive state 7,000 miles away could bring murder and destruction to our country."

You know, if he were Bill Clinton, the GOP would say he has no shame because--even five years later--he is still using a national tragedy for his political gain. Or more accurately, he uses it as a shield for everything he does. Don't like my policies? But they're to prevent another 9/11! Don't like my policies? People like you don't care if there is another 9/11! Don't like my policies? Don't you remember 9/11?

Dear god, can't we just get on with 2008 already?

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

If things continue as they are going at this instant Bush will remain in office for another 1,083 days, 23 hours, 18 Minutes and 43.8 seconds.

I'm going to say, 'getting there is half the fun', but I'm going to start running before I actually say it.