Monday, February 12, 2007

Angry Mama Loves Angry Asian Man

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites, called Angry Asian Man. Each post highlights, often humorously and always articulately (if I can compare him to Obama for a moment), instances of prejudice or ignorance toward Asians/Asian-Americans in America.

I'd been wondering about Norbit, the new Eddie Murphy movie in which Eddie puts on serious makeup and plays the role of his racist adoptive Chinese father. Angry Asian Man gave it the name I was searching for in my irritated, incredulous mind: "yellowface." How can it be unacceptable for a white person to imitate an African-American for "humorous" purposes but it can be okay for an African-American person to imitate an Asian for "humorous" purposes? How is that okay? Thankfully, Angry Asian Man is on the case.
AAM

No comments: