Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Gratitude

Today has not been my day. Yesterday I had that vague "slightly runny nose, scratchy throat" feeling that indicates a cold might be in the mail. This morning I awoke to find said package on my doorstep. Cue the clueless calls to Dana Farber (Is it okay to have a cold?! What should I do?!), the "nasal wash" appointment (it sounds as great as it feels, darlings) a couple of hours later to rule out adenoviruses that cause pneumonia or bronchitis, and the day-long grossitude of sitting around with a cold and no possibility of taking anything for it. I was hungry but couldn't eat, and I was feeling decidedly under the weather.

Then I decided to cowboy up and see if changing my attitude would change how I was feeling, since there is no excuse for being a snot even when your nose is indeed snotty. So I told myself that if I didn't feel like eating food, I should at least eat the rest of the raspberry white chocolate frozen yogurt in the freezer. You know, to keep my strength up. Then I thought about Bambina off on her day trip to Cape Cod and how great it was that she was having fun and not watching me mope. Then I resisted my usual belief that sleeping during the day is laziness when you are over the age of 5, and took a half hour nap. Then I thought how lucky I am to be able to kvetch over having a cold rather than cancer, or having the support that gets Bambina a fun day no matter how I'm feeling. Lots of people would gladly trade places with me, even in my current state. For which I am, believe it or not, deeply grateful.

“I feel a very unusual sensation - if it's not indigestion, I think it must be gratitude”
-- Benjamin Disraeli

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.
--Thornton Wilder

In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
--H.L. Mencken

No comments: