Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Miss My Dad, Part 973


I was about to write a post about how Election Day reminds me of my Dad because he so loved democracy, truth and the exercise of our inalienable right to choose a government, of, by and for the people.

But that would be a lie.

He thought, for the most part, that politicians and preachers were all crooks. His favorite saying was, "He who says man cannot live by bread alone, usually has the most bread." And politicians and preachers are the biggest proponents of the "can't live by bread alone" declaration.

What I miss about him on Election Day is his readiness to debate anything at anytime just for kicks. If he knew I felt very strongly about something he'd find a way to make me debate it to the point of my irritation and his laughing entertainment. He liked to, as he said, "wind me up and watch me spin."

I also know how hard he and my Mom worked to move us here to the States, to make a life for us, to give us an education and a chance at a better life than they had. Every time I vote I feel blessed to be American, and I feel indebted to my parents for their sacrifices that made me American.

So as I pull the lever/poke the chad/press the green light/whatever Diebold asks me to do today, I'm gonna be thinking of JP, who'd find a way to pretend he loved George Bush just to p*ss me off enough to make him laugh at my earnest irritation.

Good times, good times.

No comments: