Monday, November 07, 2005

You Can Be Right or You Can Be Married

I went to a good friend's wedding last night. It was great to see him so happy, and to see the two families embracing each other. It was so much fun to catch up with old college buddies, to lapse into old adolescent banter, to (as the awesome band The Donnas says:) "I'm on my second drink; but I've had a few before...," and to finish a sentence without interrupting myself with, "Put that down, sweetie" or "Do not throw your food!" or "Did you just do poopies?!" Okay, I actually did still get to say that at the reception, but not to my daughter...(whatup, Jeff?!) ;)

On each table at the reception were small cards and pens with instructions to write a piece of advice, a quote, a thought for the bride and the groom. I thought long and hard (in between dancing to Brick House and September [by EWandF]), and finally settled on these as The Haggis' Two Key Steps To A Blessed Union of Souls:

To {the groom}:
{Friend}, from a girl to a guy, I can offer only this: be kinder to {your wife} than you feel like being, be sweeter to her than you think is necessary, be more honest than you know is good for you--and all good things will be yours.

And To {the bride}? Same thoughts, same principles, only worded differently:

ALWAYS pay cash for shoes. Men just don't understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Always pay cash for shoes. I love it, and plan to steal that advice for my married friends.