Thursday, August 11, 2005

Email and other Fossils

A recent report by the Pew Internet and American Life Project found that a majority of teens use email only for communication with institutions and "old people," preferring instead to talk to each other with IM (Instant Messaging).

I'm not old, but I do remember my senior year of college when we all got this thing called an "email address," as well as a small amount of information on how to connect to "the information superhighway" thru sites that were not names but numbers, such as 92.11.876.33.

How about that? I'm a relic at 33. I can now tell stories about how, back in the day, we didn't have any of this fancy-shmancey, newfangled nonsense like that crazy IM or those infernal cellphones and certainly not those abominations called blackberries that you pesky ingrate kids have these days.

And I thought I'd have to wait till I was a grandparent to give that rant. Lucky me. Old bird that I am.

No comments: