Wednesday, January 05, 2005

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous

Today was one of those days. I read the following bit of wisdom on an Honest Tea bottle cap and thought it was a great thing to remember:

"The bad news: there is no key to the universe. The good news: it was never locked."
--Swami Beyondananda

That put me in a good place, feeling impressed that someone was able to articulate such a cool thought that encompasses so much and yet boils down to two sentences. Wow. Such wisdom.

Then I got on the metro and heard the following from a girlie-girl sitting in front of me:

"Why is Mardi Gras always on a Tuesday?!"

And then my thoughts turned to another amazing philosopher who summed up my feelings at that moment: George Costanza's father, who said so wisely, "SERENITY NOW!!!!"

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

"Serenity, NOW"?

That reminds me of Dotty... Hanchett, mother of one the best best kids I ever coached in youth soccer (other than the guy who lives next to the beach in LA, of course). I always wanted her son on my team, every draft, every year. And I loved it when she would cheer [her head wasn't really in the game], "Come on boys! Let's hustle and relax, Hustle and Relax". That kind of mantra (or is it a 'meme'?) stays with you.