Sunday, September 04, 2005

Law Enforcement Officers in NO and MS Need Our Help

As many of you know, my brother is in law enforcement, although fortunately not in the Gulf states. He reminded me today that Katrina's "first responders" are also victims; like the people they are trying to help, they have lost their homes, families, all of their possessions in the world. Many are surviving on whatever food they themselves can forage for in stores. Many are off-line and without standard transportation since their cars are under water. They are doing what they can with what they have to work with, and I think it's important that we take a moment to think about them as they do their jobs around-the-clock, many with no idea of their family's location or status.

I don't know anyone personally in New Orleans, but I do know that as a deputy, my brother would be out there doing his job no matter what, and I want to believe that someone would take a moment to offer him support. thanks, y'all.

Here are some thoughts from the National Law Enforcement Officer's Memorial Fund web site:

Here is one of the few messages to get out, from a deputy in Mississippi which was sent in the middle of the night:

"My only contact with the outside world is our in-car computers. Most of us have lost everything we have. We have lost 75 percent of the residences and businesses in Harrison County. When I find the stupid cord for the camera I'll send you some pictures.

"I'm tired of locating bodies. You see this stuff on TV all the time, but until you walk the walk you just can't comprehend the magnitude of it all.

"This is the first time in my life I wish I wasn't a police officer. I had to send my children to live with their grandparents in Pittsburgh. There won't be any school for at least six months. Power will take at least six weeks. This is ungodly. I don't know what you guys can do; any help will be much appreciated."

TO: ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
FROM: MADISON COUNTY SHERIFF COMMUNICATIONS; CANTON, MS
SUB: HURRICANE RELIEF

***REQUEST NATIONWIDE BROADCAST***

WE RECEIVED A CALL FROM HANCOCK COUNTY SHERIFF STEVE GARBER THIS DATE REQUESTING ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE WITH CLOTHING FOR HANCOCK COUNTY DEPUTIES. THE ONLY CLOTHES THESE MEN AND WOMEN HAVE IS WHAT THEY WERE WEARING WHEN KATRINA HIT MONDAY. THEIR NEEDS ARE BASIC, INCLUDING UNDERWEAR, BOOTS, SOCKS, T-SHIRTS, PANTS AND TOILETRIES. THE SIZES WE WERE GIVEN RANGE FROM 34-46 WAIST AND SM-XXX SHIRTS. THESE ITEMS ARE DESPERATELY AND IMMEDIATELY NEEDED. ANY DONATIONS CAN BE SENT TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

MADISON COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE
ATTN:SHERIFF TOBY TROWBRIDGE JR
2941 HWY 51 SOUTH
CANTON, MS 39046

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT OUR AGENCY AT (601)859-2345.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Visit the NLEOMF website frequently for the most current news and information about this unprecedented relief effort. Please post your personal tributes, relief information and words of support on our Hurricane Relief Message Board online at www.nleomf.com/hurricane/ ...

No comments: